Friday 23 March 2012

Thursday 22-3-12

I had a great time at last nights Bjj session under the tutelage of Ian Rossiter (Brown Belt). The numbers were down a bit from last week which always seems to be the case after a grading unfortunately, but sometimes it's better having a smaller class as it feels a bit more personal and you get a bit more face time with the instructor.

This week we have also been aware that Rich Presley (2.0) is going to be entering the Hereford Open 12 this week in the 88.3 Kg category which is usually one of the most heavily contested weight classes in the competition so we've been trying to help him drill stuff that would be useful for his effort. I hope that he's done enough, Rich certainly has been improving massively in the last year that I've known him and he's been training like a total demon with sessions at least 3 times a week (lucky bastard). Using the ever evolving guard game he's been exhibiting recently and with some good fortune maybe Rich can come home with something shiny for his cupboard. Good Luck Dude.


Venue: Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, Uk.
Instructor: Ian Rossiter.


Warm Up:

Laps of the mat, including, ass kicks, knee ups, facing inward for a lap, facing out for a lap and arm windmilling for a couple of laps. Neck, Arm and Shoulder stretching. Push ups 10 x 3, Squats 10x 3, Crunches 10 x 3, then some leg stretching and the weird torso twist stretch.


Techniques:

Ian started us off by drilling the basic armbar from the guard. Opponent sits in your guard and grabs both lapels quite high. You then grip their sleeve cuffs, one in each hand, open your guard and put your feet to the guys hips, then shift your own hips out to one side and fire your leg on that side up and over the top of the guys arms and past his head. Then return to the closed guard start position and do the same for the opposite side.

Each guy drilled this 10 times. I was drilling with Dan the blue belt for this but we quickly got switched around by Ian so the more experienced guys were each with a newer guy. I got paired off with Chris Whiting. Chris is experiencing some difficulty with his hip manoeuvrability and took a while to get the gist of the drill and how to get in the correct position to apply the pressure. We worked on it for a bit and I think he understood where he was going wrong in the end.

For the next drill we went through the basic omoplata from guard. Opponent sits in your guard and grabs both lapels quite high. You then grip their sleeve cuffs, one in each hand (same as before). You then pull one of the hands up and across a bit to stretch the guy and using the leg of that side of the body, you open your guard and bring the leg up and over the shoulder and down under his chin. Whilst doing that you can swivel your body outside (so you've gone out at a angle on the same side the leg is over the shoulder) and then triangle the other leg over the first so it's nice and secure. Now, securing the guy by the belt or the leg, use your legs to push him down to the mat, keeping the arm secured between your legs. From there you can finish the omoplata however you usually would, be it with the for leg extended, bringing both legs round to the side or keeping them triangled and leaning forward. Always ensure you've got the downward pressure on his back though or he'll roll out and you've lost the position. DO NOT secure him by wrapping your nearside arm around his nearside leg or he can roll over and reverse the hold putting you in the omoplata.
We were back to original partners here so I was drilling with Dan again. During the drilling of this technique Dan stated that he has never been tapped out by an omoplata in sparring. I think that's definitely worth noting for a future challenge.


Moving us on from there Ian showed us a method of hitting the omoplata from the feet on hips guard. Start by gripping each of the opponents sleeve cuffs with your hands and with your feet on the opponents hips. Pushing the guy away with your feet to make space, move one of your legs outside the opponents same side arm then over the top and back inside, using your foot to hook up under the arm pit to form a position called the leg lasso. Now release the grip on the non lasso'd sleeve cuff and transfer it to the lasso'd sleeve cuff so you can use the hand that was securing that cuff to reach outside the leg lasso and grip the opponents arm or sleeve at the triceps. Then you just push the leg that's forming the lasso through further and move it up and over the top of the shoulder and back down under the guys chin (whilst using this movement to shift your body out at an angle) to start the  omoplata. Very nifty technique.


While we were playing about with this one, Marcus remembered a move that Italo Ferreira taught him when he was the head Bjj instructor at Trojan Bristol. From the same leg lasso set up but you need to ensure there is lots of space so you ensure you push yourself away quite far before you get the leg lasso in. You then put the other leg through the hole underneath the leg lasso and roll under on your shoulders. When you come up on the other side you are already in the omoplata position. Nice move. I'll need a lot more time to really nail it though. I only got 3 tries and only really hit it once. The two times I got it wrong I think was down to not putting the leg under far enough.


Rolling:

To help Rich in his training efforts we started off with some situational rolling. First was from side control. It was side controlling escaping. Guy on top just had to maintain side control while the guy at the bottom had to try and recover guard. I paired off with Rich first and let him have both turns on the bottom (mainly because we stupidly misheard the instructions). Rich has developed a really good bridge out and managed to recover guard a couple of times. On some of the times he didn't though, he had a tendency to brutally expose his back. Something for him to work on there.

Next up I paired off with Dan. We only had enough time for me to go on the bottom, I managed to recover guard a couple of times after a bit of a struggle. Dan's good at shifting up to North South and stalling there.

Next situational was guard passing. Guy on the floor closes his guard while the guy in guard tries to break guard and pass. Dan tried to pass first and I had a pretty good time of it. I managed to sweep him twice and maintained guard through the rest of it, though I had to invert at one point to keep guard.
During my stint trying to pass I used the knee in and push leg away guard break to good effect and managed to pass from there when he attempted an omoplata. On the next try Dan went to try an arm bar to which I blocked so he tried and triangle to which I moved out around the outside leaving him to roll up into turtle stopping me from passing.

After that we managed to get in a few rounds of proper rolling. I went with Dan first and after the initial grip fighting effort I pulled guard. From Guard I tried to hit various subs while Dan furiously tried to pass. It went like that for pretty much the entire 3 minutes except I managed to hit a triangle on him right at the end. Just as the 30 second warning had gone he stood to pass and I managed to get a leg around his head. I used the reach up and grab the leg with my hand on the other side of his head method to secure the leg in place then wrapped the other leg around for the triangle. When I had the position I knew that it was tight, I just squeezed with my legs, not even bothering with pulling down the head. I think Dan was going to try and wait the thirty seconds but after I tensed my legs he quickly tapped.

My second roll was against Rich so I didn't want to beast the shit out of him ahead of his match, instead I just tried to get him in tricky positions and let him struggle to get out of them. I got to side control and, as mentioned earlier, Rich used his impressive bridge to try and burst out. Knowing this was coming though I just held on tight using my elbows and knees and eventually he bridge to far exposing his back. I took his back and got both hooks in and was content to let him try to escape while I tried to hold on and to his credit he managed to escape to half guard top in the dying seconds of the roll. Well done on the rear mount escape Rich but you've gotta stop giving up your back from side control. Good luck for Sunday \m/.

My last roll of the night was against Big Justin. Justin looked absolutely shagged going in so I tried my hand at seeing if I could take him down. Justin's got about 3 stone on me and is as strong as an ox so it didn't take me long to realise that pulling guard was the better option. Justin's been struggling with his guard passing so I decided that I'd just close my guard up and throw little threats at him like arm bars, triangles and gi chokes, whilst giving him the opportunity to try and pass my guard. To his credit I didn't get a sub on him, came very close with an arm bar but he seems to have them fairly well scouted now so he pulled the elbow out just enough to lose the threat. Unfortunately he still did next to nothing toward passing the guard. As time dwindled out I could see him getting very frustrated and trying stupid things with his arms outstretched. After our roll I gave him some advice on guard passing and suggested maybe he got himself the Ed Beneville Guard Passing book (I'm not related to Ed Beneville or anything, I just really like his book and suggest it to everyone).


Another session over and I've now got my sights set on the Welsh Open next month and the British Open the month after. Some good times ahead \m/.

No comments: