Thursday 17 May 2012

DV8 Academia de Jiu Jitsu - 17-5-12

A new name for the club and a new era. And what do you know....... Ian's late. Well it had been prearranged and Ian had left me in charge of the class until he got there. Ooooo the power. The numbers for the nights lesson were brilliant with more guys turning up than had for a while. It'll be nice to see if we can keep some of the new guys as they seem very enthusiastic. We were also graced with the presence of old SJJA face, Glen Cutter, a blue belt from the old Burnham class who'd taken a considerable amount of time out from Jiu Jitsu but decided to take another turn off the wheel. Welcome back dude.


Venue: Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, Uk.
Instructor: Ian Rossiter (Brown Belt)


Warm Up:

I decided to take a different approach with the warm up tonight just to freshen things up. We started off with about five laps of the mat to get the blood pumping. Then stopped and did some star jumps, some running man jumps (my name, not official), limbered up the ankles, knees, hips, wrists, elbows, arms, neck. Then we got on the floor and did a load of hip escapes, then a load of Upa bridge escapes, then a load of triangles. From there we finished off with assorted legs stretches.


Techniques:

Ian arrived in time for the techniques so he started us off with a nifty choke alternative from attacking the back. You've got the opponents back, sat up with a seat belt grip and both hooks in. You feed the underhook arm right across the guys body and grab the sleeve cuff of the overhook arm, then pass the overhook arm behind the opponents head so you have a Rear Mount Ezekiel. To finish the move well you just need to lean back, the leverage giving you the hard choke. Nice move.

I drilled this with Dan Foster. We played around with it for a while and found that if you clench your fist when grabbing the sleeve cuff it becomes a carotid artery choke so the guy doesn't realise he's getting choked until his head starts getting fuzzy and by then it's too late.


Ian's next technique was just a basic Rear Naked Choke putting emphasis on the clenching down with the elbow, into the opponent's chest. Same set up as before but this time you get the overhook around the opponents neck and ensure you bring that elbow down hard into his chest. You put the hand of that choking arm into the elbow crook of your other arm and then close that second arm and pass the forearm behind the head and pressure the head forward. Most guys will tap at this point if you have the technique in tight but if not you just need to lean back while bending forward. This move is an old friend to any long time Jiu Jitsu practitioner but it is amazing how repeatedly drilling it under good instruction sharpens up your technique. It's easy to forget after a while that the move comes on stronger with the elbow crushing down into the chest.
I drilled this one and the rest of the lesson with Marcus Hedley.


The next move was a technique I'd not seen before and smacks of a Bow and Arrow variation. Hence why I loved it. Same set up as before, this time getting an overhook arm across the opponents front to get a decent collar grip. With your other arm, you reach across as if to go for the opposite collar for a rear gi choke or something but the guy blocks your arm with his far side arm, so you can grab the gi sleeve of that arm and pull it tight across him, then lean back and off to the side and pass the leg on the choking arm side over the shoulder (as if for the Bow and Arrow finish) and pull on the choke. Tap city. Very nice move.
Drilled this move with Marcus too. After our training Tuesday and some of the drilling today my neck is uber fooked thanks to Marcus' spiffy new "sandpaper" Koral gi. I am in pain.


Ian changed it up for the next technique, going for a Darce Choke. starting with you opponent under your side control, the guy bursts up with his arms as if to hip escape but you catch him in the movement and overhook his top arm and pass it right through across his body to pass out between his head and shoulder. You then close the other arm around around the hand/wrist of the choking arm and press the hand of the closing arm on his back. To finish this move you curl into a ball and move toward the opponent then wrap your top leg over his legs. Tight choke. Very nice.


Following on from that Ian showed us the Anaconda Choke from Single Leg Takedown Defence. First off he showed it from if the opponent is attempting to single leg you from Turtle. You've sprawled to defend and managed to pass one of your arms between his nearside head and shoulder to reach under across the chest and grab him at the arm pit on the other side of his body. You can then rest your weight on his back and kick the leg leg he has secured hard backwards to break his grip, continuing the downward pressure so his arms are stretched out. From there you can push the arm further through to close your other arm around it (same as for the Darce). You now switch your hips so they are facing against the choke and barrel roll backward using your legs to push you over so the opponent come over the topof your head and back down on the other side. Then you can close your body in toward your opponent by balling up and wrapping the top leg over for the finish. The move is basically the same for the standing single but with more sprawling necessary.


Rolling:

My first roll was against Marcus and as I've been rolling a lot against him this week it hardly felt like we'd stopped. I pulled guard straight off then got a sweep, attempted to come up into side control to which Marcus blocked and recovered guard. Then Marcus got me with a sweep and spent the rest of the round trying to pass my guard while I tried to catch him with a sub. Good round. I look forward to Monday and Tuesday for more.


Second roll was against Rob. Rob's an old boy and a white belt so I try to go quite easy on him but he's pretty strong from years of being a storesman and tries to muscle you about so I find his pressuring causes me to go faster at it. Because of this I managed to sweep him and gain mount fairly quickly. A quick bit of fakery for a choke and Rob over commited his arm to pull me off so I managed to switch for an arm bar. We reset and I pulled guard then managed to get him to an arm bar situation bringing Rob down onto his back with the gaining of the position. Rob managed to defend it admirably though, rolling his shoulder under so I ended up having to recover to S Mount or lose the position entirely. We finished the round with me attacking his arm again and then trying for the mounted triangle.

Third go was against one of the newer guys Chris. I'd heard Chris did some MMA stuff so I thought I'd see how much he'd managed to bring over. I pulled guard and him, dummied and arm bar and then set up the omoplata )as per Andre Galvao's method I'd previously been trying out with Marcus a couple of weeks ago) for the tap. I  spent the rest of the round teaching Chris a few easy things to enhance his game as I noticed he was 'another sit in my guard and try and choke me' type. I taught him a quick and easy guard break and pass.

Next round was against Rich Presley. I jumped straight to guard here and was just trying to catch him in various different subs which Rich defended well. Rich nearly passed my guard at one point but I was able to handily recover by going inverted and then coming back around the other side. I threatened a Pace Choke at one point which Rich was wary of. Other than that it was a fair stalemate.


My last round was against the returning Glenn Cutter, who I thoroughly enjoyed rolling against. Glenn rolls with a furious pace and doesn't seem to gas out so if you're going against him, you're going for the full round. I pulled guard first off and fended off his admirably ferocious attempts at passing my guard. I was able to pull in close at one point and tried out the Kimura trick I wrote of in my last blog. He had a hold on my gi pant so I grabbed his hand and leant forward, reached over and by the he realised what I was going for I had the arm secured and was angled out to the side. A little bit of pressure and I got the tap. From the reset he jumped guard quick and managed the quickest scissor sweep I think I've ever encountered. I quickly managed to recover guard and the round played out with me defending. my guard.

Amazing session tonight and the class almost seems like it has a renewed vigour to it. I really hope we can keep some or all of these new guys around, train them up for the future. Maybe get a decent team together.

Ah well, roll on Monday (could that be a pun??) \m/

No comments: