Tuesday 24 July 2012

Two Man Training 23-7-12



I have registered myself in for the Uk Premier Bjj competition in Bristol on the 5th August and am happy for as much training as I can get. I managed to get down to the mats at Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, for a practice session and loads of rolling with my good buddy, Marcus Hedley, on Monday Lunchtime. Given the subject matter we'd covered with Chico on Tuesday last week - De La Riva Guard - we thought it'd be pretty cool to crack out some more De La Riva stuff here.

Fortunately for me, the stuff we had referenced was all off of Youtube so there are some videos to demonstrate the items we covered. Meaning minimal typing for me, Yay!


The first technique we covered was this pretty slick effort from Robson Moura, courtesy of Bjj Weekly. Robson manages to sweep his opponent from a reverse De La Riva and finish up with a cool collar choke. Very tasty.
Another De La Riva technique we tried was this next vid fromthe man himself, Ricardo De La Riva, once again courtesy off Bjj Weekly. With this one we first got the sweep right then modified the movement to come up into an arm bar. Very good although the circumstances would have to be perfect for me to hit it in a live action situation.
Next up was another Ricardo De La Riva technique,  once again courtesy of Bjj Weekly, although I have to say I was less impressed with this. It works well but it wasn't a favourite of mine. I'll still try it again some time but I don't ever see it making an appearance in my repertoire.
We also did a pretty cool Omoplata from De La Riva Guard that I couldn't find a video for so I'll explain from the point of view I trained it from. I have the De La Riva Guard setup, my left leg DLR hooked around Marcus' right leg and my right pressed against his left hip. Both cuffs are secured in my hands to begin with. To start this move I release the cuff in my right hand and pass the cuff in my left hand over to my right hand. Now with the left, I reach down and grab his right leg at the ankle. I can now remove my right foot from it's position and, tilting myself onto my left shoulder, I can press that foot on Marcus' right shoulder. Now with a quick motion I can push/pull myself out to the side (so I'm next to him, in an inverted position), release my De La Riva Hook, then kick up hard and lean forward. Now if done correctly you should end up in the omoplata position at that point and finish should be obvious to you. Very slick move reminiscent of the Andre Galvao omoplata I waffle on about occasionally.
-
The last one we drilled was this little effort by Flavios (?) of Indianapolis Bjj, uploaded by Marcello C Monteiro. The is a De La Riva sweep that I found a lot more palatable and could easily see myself using more often.

After drilling these techniques for a bit we had a very good 45 minutes of rolling at the end. Totally brutalised each other and got some good moves in there.

We were meant to train Tuesday (today) lunchtime too but Marcus had a last minute work thing that was unavoidable. Shame really cause I'd could've used the training and Marcus is only in Weston for a couple more weeks then he's migrating south to Portmouth. Gutted. Good training partners are hard to find and Marcus is definitely one of the best.

S'pose I'll just have to wait for Thursdays lesson down Sweat FA for my next Jiu Jitsu fix.


HOLY SHIT!? I managed to get this far through this entry without mentioning my fuckin' awesome new Gi. I've invested in a spanking new Vulkan Pro Light in white and I have to say, it's fuckin' amazing. The sheer lightness of it is brilliant. The Zero G from Tatami was supposed to be light but it's got nothing on the Pro Light. The thing make feel more dexterous just rolling in it. I was amazed. Definitely worth the money I spent on it.

¬m/

No comments: