Monday 29 October 2012

DV8 Academia de Jiu Jitsu 25/10/12

I haven't managed to get to a Bjj class for about 2 weeks due to being on call last week with work during the High Tides. Lots of overtime but it reallly puts a dampner on your Bjj. All I've managed to get in is a couple of lunchtime No-Gi sessions with a lad called Matty Martin at my local gym. These No-Gi sessions are pretty productive though as I haven't really done a lot of Bjj without the Gi on so it's a good learning curve for me too. And Matty's a big guy with a lot of strength so I have to be really wily to get anything over on him. It ensures I use more technique rather than just muscling my way through.

While I've been off from Bjj classes I've also been a bit lax with my blogging. During this time though there has been some great things happen in Bjj. Particularly the mega event Metamoris Pro, which featured some of the top Bjj athletes in the world pitted against each other in one off, submission only, 20 minute bouts. Put on like a traditional boxing or MMA card with fighter intros, commentary and clearly defined winners (or draws if no sub occurs) the event was, in my opinion, a tremendous success with some truly amazing world class action. I think this format is the future of the top end of the sport. I mean obviously to sell it you need some big names, so the guys on the card have already paid their dues and won world championships tournaments and everyone into the sport/art has heard of pretty much everyone on the card. I really hope another event such as this occurs in the future.

In other Bjj related updates more relative to me I'm really proud of our Bristol Instructor and head of Checkmat Europe, Chico Mendes, for going up to London on the weekend and taking gold in the London Open Gi competition, and then gold in the European No-Gi at weight and silver in the absolute. Well done Chico. You're awesome! Special mention should also go to Sam Cook who went up and got gold in her category at the London Open too. Also on a side note, well done to Tyrone Derrick for taking gold in his weight division at London too. Makes me seem that little less bad for losing to you at the Bristol Open ;o).

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. This weeks class down at DV8 Bjj, Weston, was brilliant. There were good numbers down there and the guys that attend these days are real good blokes who are committed to learning but still willing to have some fun while doing it.

Venue: Sweat Fa,



Warm Up:
I took the guys for the warm up starting with jogging laps with Arm Windmills, Butt kicks, Knee ups, Inward for a lap and outwards for a lap. Then two steps facing in two steps facing out for a lap. Then we did 2 lengths of the mat sprinting, followed by breakfalls, forward rolls for 2 lengths. Backward Rolls 2 lengths. Then Neck and Arm stretching. 4 x 10 Squats, 3 x 10 situps and 3 x 10 press ups. Finished with some leg stretching.



Techniques:
(For ease of explanation, I will describe techniques using the sides I used when first learnt (i.e Left and Right).


For this weeks first move Ian ran us through the Upa technique for escaping mount. This is a fantastic escape move that everyone should have in their arsenal. This is an impressive move that always amazes the newby or inexperienced grappler. I've shown this move a few times to some of the guys I've been training during lunchtimes recently and it always elicits a suitably amazed response. Fortunately, using the joyous Youtube website, I can show you this technique and cut down on valuable wear and tear on my keyboard and fingers ;o)
Video courtesy of Jaymac0152 taught by Zed Chierighini



For the second technique, Ian started us off with a one man drill. Lying on your back you bridge up, then hip escape (firing your ass out to your left) then scissor switch your legs so your hips are now facing the ground, then turn your whole body over so you are on your hands and knees at a 90 degree angle to how your body was initially positioned. This is a basic drill to get the movement for the an Escape from Side Control to Single Leg.


Once this was drilled a few times we then paired up and did the technique. I was paired with the ever improving Rich Presley.
With the guy on top of you in a strong side control position, his legs off to your right, you have your right forearm against his waist and your left hand below his head (to the right) of his head. You bridge up and push out to the right, then perform the leg scissor switch turn, whilst taking hold of the opponent's right leg as you come over into the all fours position. From there you can drive forward, preferably with your head on the inside, pushing the guy back onto his ass. If you maintain good control of his legs you can come up into side control here.


Next was the old staple for side control escapes. The Bridge and Shrimp to Guard Recovery. Once again the guy has the strong side control on you. This time you have your right forearm at his waist, your left forearm across his neck. Bring your feet close to your ass and bridge up and push to the right once again. At this point you shrimp out to your left but this time, bring your right knee up inbetween the two of you to make enough space that you can bring your left leg inside to gain guard. The type of guard you recover is dependant on your flexibility, your body type (long/short) and the size and strength of your opponent. Regardless, if you only initially recover to half guard you can still shrimp out the other way and get the other leg in for the full guard (Butterfly hooks).


To continue on from this but from the perspective of the the top control guy, Ian then demo'd a counter to the bridge, taking it into a Darce Choke. As the guy bridges up, the top control guy can pull back a little while using his left arm to control the guys head, while threading his right arm under the arm pit of the opponent's left arm and passing it underneath his neck and head. Then use your body to press down and keep his left arm in position, so you can put your right hand into the elbow crook of your left arm. To finish you close the left arm over the right and then reach the left hand behind your head. This should apply enough squeeze to get the tap but if it doesn't, you can turn your lower body to face the opponent (instead of facing down) and curl in toward him wrapping a leg over his leg to apply extra pressure.
I really enjoy this move and have tapped a few guys out with this in rolling. Love it.



Rolling:

First off I rolled with Rich. It was a pretty good, action packed roll. I managed to pass his guard a couple of times. Got to mount a couple of times too. I took his back once but he defended admirably and I gave up the position by trying for an ill advised arm bar. At the end, I'd mounted Rich and tried for a mounted triangle, which Rich turned out of to come up attacking my guard. In the end I was hunting a Kimura and was totally gutted that the roll ended. Sometimes you have a round that you wish would last longer. This was one of those times.


Next up was Ash (Glenn'son), who seems to have taken to hunting me down every time we are both in attendance. A per usual against Ash, I pulled guard. He tried his best to break my guard and did his usual thing of leaving his arms extended too much to push against my arm pits. As I've told him about this countless times before I decided to just quickly arm bar him, give him the quick lecture again, then continue. After that I was happy to just do some flow rolling with him, letting him get positions on me so I can escape, then helping him do the same.


Next up I had a fantastic round against Glenn. Glenn is a strong dude and usually has some good top control. Coupled with the fact that he's pretty awesome at Judo it means he doesn't usually have problem getting you to your back. The time however, I managed to take him down and got straight to side control. After a bit of a struggle in side, me trying to keep the position, him trying to escape, I noticed he was extending his arm high to push me away so I switched and hit an arm bar on him. I was pretty damn chuffed with this and was fairly certain he would flatten me at the restart. He did take me straight down to my back getting into my half guard. I was massively chuffed with the next bit though as I hit a nice roll over sweep on him, although in the scramble he got his leg up so I jumped to 50/50 and after a couple of fumbled attempts I managed to secure an ankle lock. I was dead happy with this. It was probably the best round of rolling I had in a while.


For my last roll I was up against Cameron. Cam has been improving a lot and doesn't bull rush from the outset any more. He was comfortable to sit in my guard to begin, although he left his arm out allowing my to very nearly hit him with the arm bar from guard. I was extended very far up on my shoulder though and he was on his feet, so he walked over me cranking my neck a bit so I released the hold. I came up quickly from here though and passed his guard to side, quickly hitting him with a cheap Americana from side. After the reset I drove forward into a kneeling clinch and managed to quickly get a really tight loop choke on.


So it was a good session of Jiu Jitsu with some good mates and a great few rounds of rolling at the end.

I also attended a cool Leo Vieira seminar on Saturday too, which I still need to type up. Great times. ¬m/



No comments: