Sunday 18 November 2012

DV8 Bjj 15/11/12

Getting around to typing these entries up at the moment is pretty hard as I seem to be very busy with family stuff. As long as I'm getting the important stuff done, like training and learning, and as long as I log down all the techniques I've studied for later reference, I am happy. Hopefully in the new year things will be a little less hectic in casa de Eyre and I will be able to get a bit more creative and funk this shit up a bit.


Got down to training with Ian (Rossiter) on Thursday at DV8 Academia de Jiu Jitsu, Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare. We had a reasonably good turn out for this time of year. Things always tend to fizzle out on the run up to Chrimbo as people are saving money/getting shitfaced/recovering from getting shitfaced/ just can't be bothered cause the festive season is round the corner.



Techniques:
(As usual, I will describe the techniques from the position/side/angle I learned them)
 
After a standard warm up we got down to action. For Ian's first technique we were shown an arm bar from Butterfly Guard. Starting from a sat up Butterfly Guard position with your opponent making a grab for your left collar with his right hand. You reach up to his shoulder and grab his right shoulder with your right hand and under his right arm with your left, grabbing him roughly around arm pit. Your left arm should be inside his right, so you can then use a steering motion to turn his arm upside-down, while at the same time you pull back, falling backward as you go and forcing his arm up further so his wrist is against the side of your face/neck. Accompanying this motion you should be coming out to his right side slightly and bringing your knees up so they can surround his right rib cage at front and back. To finish you wrap your left arm over the back of his right at the elbow and apply pressure on it by gable gripping your hands together and pulling the arm down. It takes a bit of drilling and adjusting to work out where the sweet spot is but I found it best if you get the elbow or just a fraction below.
Of course, if the guy turns his arm one way or the other quickly the technique falls apart.
We totally mixed about with who we practised techniques against so I can't remember who I learned what with.



The second technique is a fall back plan for if the guy turns his arm. From the end of the previous technique, the guy turns his right arm clockwise slightly so you can't get the finish. Fear not, if you then bring your left arm up toward your chest a bit, clamping his arm close, you can then bring your left leg up over his head and pass it in front of his face/neck/chest. Keeping the arm clamped to your chest you finish by thrust forward with your hips to hyper extend the arm. Fairly painful.
I found though, that I wasn't as good with this on the other side (when I was trying to arm bar his left arm). For some reason I was initially getting the positioning wrong. I got it in the end but it took some experimenting.


The third move was also an alternate from the first. This time the guy turns his right arm anti-clockwise to escape the first arm bar. This time you pull the arm down as if to put it in your right pocket and secure it there. Now pass your left leg over the top of him and press that shin into the side of his head to keep him at the right distance. Whilst doing this you need to reach back and grab him across his back or at his belt (to stop him from rolling forward). You can now use this positioning of your legs and arms to rotate yourself around to put your legs out to your right. Shifting out to the right you can pull the opponent off of his knees so he's lying a bit more on his stomach. Bringing your opponent's trapped arm into your gut you lean forward to apply immense pressure to his shoulder for the omoplata.


The last technique was a sweep from Butterfly Guard. You have your opponent in a standard Butterfly Guard, both hooks in and you have a strong right underhook to his left arm. You then pull in his right arm close to your stomach, trapping it there. You then fall back and to the left side and kick up and over using the right side butterfly hook. The opponent flips over onto their back and you can fellow them over into mount. An old favourite.


Rolling:

For rolling tonight we did the old 2 grapple for a minute while one waits, then attacks the guy with the advantageous position once the minute's up. It then carries on in that order until time is called.

I was sparring with Rich Presley and Dan Foster for this. For my first roll I jumped in  against Dan and it was fairly uneventful. I ended in his guard with him trying for a triangle but I'm VERY weary of Dan's triangles now as he's pretty exceptional with the move, so I had it well scouted.

I was then attacked by Rich but was able to recover to top control pretty quick. That was where my advantage ended for that round though as Rich was attacking like a man possessed and wrapped a triangle on me, which I stacked him up in, so he started trying for the arm bar. It was only with some judicious twisting of the arm that saved me. I'd escaped it just, by the time Dan was in on Rich.

My second go at Dan was better for me, even though I lost advantageous position straight away as Dan saw me coming and recovered guard quickly. I managed to pass his guard after though and he quickly turtled up. At this point I was head on to his turtle and managed to sneak in a cross collar grip. Dan, to his credit, resisted this for a long time but was eventually forced to tap. When his head came up he was looking a bit purple.

After a very brief restart, Rich then jumped me. Can't remember much about that one, other than it was more favourable to me than our first. Think I managed to sweep him to his guard and was trying to pass for the most of the minute.

That was pretty much it for that week of Bjj. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get any in during the week either as Matty, my current training partner, was busy. Gutted. Hopefully I'll get more in next week.

¬m/


No comments: