Monday 24 December 2012

DV8 Bjj 20/12/12

Last Jiu Jitsu session of the year on Thursday with Ian and the guys down at Sweat FA, Weston, and as is traditional for Ian's classes, we had a bit of a blow out avoiding techniques altogether, in favour of some competitive exercises.



We first did this thing where we made a large circle with a load of belts and two guys faced off in stand up. The object is to either throw your opponent out of the ring or take them down to the mat with a winner stay in format. However, you can't drop you own hand or knee to the mat to do so. A lot harder than it sounds. Most guys just opted for trying to get their opponents out of the ring turning the exercise into a sumo match of sorts. Very fun although Tommy Hill managed to pick up an unfortunate and painful looking leg injury. Hope Tommy gets better quickly.


The second game/exercise had two guys face each other, with both having a strip of plastic tucked in their belt at the back. The object here was to try to reach around and grab the opponents plastic strip without first giving up you own strip. This was another fun game with a fast pace.


The last game type exercise we did was from knee to knee. Two guys face off with the victor being the person who manages to manoeuvre their opponent out of the mat area or pin their opponent's back to the mat for 10 seconds. For this one there was a tiered tournament set up with Dan Foster eventually coming out victorious. I went out early in the first round when Big "Lil" Justin basically picked me up and threw me out of the mat area. 


After all that we did some situational rolling, attacking or defending the rear mount and then went on to some normal rolling.


Special mention needs to go to Glenn Cutter who just picked up his purple belt from Ian at Chico's (Mendes) last grading. Massive congrats to him. Also well done to Justin for picking up his blue belt, great and well deserved achievement.


Well that session marks the end of a great year of training for me. Admittedly I still miss training with Marcus on Monday and Tuesday lunchtimes as we were really pushing each other forward but I managed to pick up a couple of other training partners, who, with a bit of hard training will really start to push my game forward.

For the new year in Bjj I really have to sit down and plan what I need to improve in my game and most of all I need to train and spar loads!! I think I'm going to look more into the whole drill to win phenomenon that seems to be catching fire at the moment and try to insert some of that into my training sessions. Up until now I've only really scratched the surface with it, using basic arm bar and triangle drills, but there seems to be so much more out there to help you improve your technical memory that it just can't be ignored.



Finally, I'd like to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope you all get everything you want and enjoy your festive season to the fullest. I'll be back in the new year, training and working off the extra Christmas weight that I will have put on.

Goodbye 2012 - You've been a good year. Here's hoping for better in 2013!!! ¬m/

No comments: