Thursday 16 May 2013

DV8 Bjj - 9/5/13

Ok, so I'm quite far behind on writing this up. As I sit here and type this it's the week AFTER the session that I'm writing about and I've just got back from another awesome sesh. 

You see, what I've been doing lately that's taken my time away from blogging and generally obsessing about Bjj is that I am currently learning two new subjects. Firstly, I have developed a taste for Web Design and programming and wish to learn much more about it so I can maybe earn some extra cash doing up some inexpensive web solutions for people (it's a long way off but you gotta have a dream right?) and secondly, I've been learning Spanish, as I am planning a family holiday to Spain in August and I feel like I'm a particularly uncultured fuckwit. Let's face it, us English rarely learn another language so I'd like to be one of the minority rather than the average on this.

Anyway, to help stay on track on this I'm gonna have to dedicate a bit more time to that and a little less time to blogging so basically I'm gonna reformat the style with which I write up a week/lesson/article. I'm going to dispense with the amount of detail I go into on things like warm up and sparring and maybe see where I can shrink down my technical explanations as well. Sorry if you read this and previously enjoy all the extra shit I usually put in (although I can't imagine there's anyone out there who suddenly thought that) but I really need to trim the amount of time I spend blogging down for a while.

Ok so for this entry I'm going straight into the technical bump. Oh wait,




Venue: Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, Uk
Instructor: Ian Rossiter (Black Belt, Checkmat).

Techniques.
 (I'm still going to be explaining these techniques from the position I initially learnt them).


For the first technique, Ian let Rich Presley demo a Kimura from guard while he talked through it. I was Rich's demo partner for this.
From a good closed guard, the opponent's hands are braced against your abdomen, you reach down so your arms are under his arms and you put your hands together (as if praying). You then (keeping both hands together) push your arms up and outwards, breaking the guy's grips and driving his arms to either side of you. Quickly reaching down with your right hand you take a grip across his left wrist and force his hand to the floor. You then open your guard and lunge your left arm forward over his left shoulder (sitting up with your whole body) and reach over behind his left arm to take a grip of your own right wrist. Using your left bicep to bring the opponent's upper arm/shoulder into your chest so it's nice and secure, you fall to you back  out at a perpendicular angle to the guy, bringing him right down close to you and push his arm up straight at a 90° angle, closing up the guard as you go. If executed right this move doesn't fail to earn a tap.


The second technique I demo'd, against Rich. I was a Kimura from side control to North South grip break. 
You have a nice strong side control on the opponent (lying so you head is to his left) and have managed to isolate his left arm to the floor, pointing toward his feet. You grip his left wrist with your right hand and pass your left arm underneath his arm to grab your right wrist (forming the figure four). The opponent at this point, if he's any good, will grab something down at his waist with his left hand. It might be his gi pants, his jacket or most commonly his belt. From here you step up over his head with your left leg and then transition up to to North South. From there you use the grip you have on the guy's arm to pull him up on his side and squeeze your legs together around his head to keep him in this position. Now, leaning forward so your chest is tight against his the upper part of his left arm, you can use the strength of your back to drive yourself up straight, ripping his grip open and then finish the sub by turning the arm backwards through 90°.

Next Ian demo'd a move that was totally new to me. A Kimura variation from side control. You have arrived at the position where you've threatened the Kimura and he's grabbed his belt. As an alternative, you can now release the grip on his wrist ((and your grip on your wrist) and reach around his arm with your right to grip his elbow. With your left arm you switch your grip to grab your bicep (your arm is still under his). Now, making sure your left forearm is close to his elbow, you tilt your left arm elbow up to apply immense pressure to the guy's shoulder. It really is a total beauty.



We also rocked a Kimura from half guard bottom which is pretty much the same as the one from guard, except from half guard.



Last technique was the Kimura from half guard top. You have your right leg secured between his legs and you've managed to flatten him out and lay across him. You've flattened his arm into the Kimura position and reach under and then roll over forward, taking the opponent with you (so you've basically given up position to half bottom) and drive the arm upward in a Kimura. Sleek and sexy move. 



See, that wasn't so bad was it? Only took me an hour and a half to write and I didn't haze on too much. Now I've got to write the next one up.

¬m/

No comments: