Sunday 9 June 2013

Still Injured.

Super bummed out. I'm still injured with the rib problem I got at the last seminar. Apparently intercostal muscles don't heal that quickly. So I've haven't been able to train since which is soul crushing. And I've had to pull out of the Hereford Open which is equally as shite.

So all in all a very unproductive Bjj-ing week.

UFC Nogueira vs Werdum on the other hand, was the most awesome display of Bjj in MMA that I have seen in a long time. Nearly all of the fights shown on the main card on ESPN were finished via submission. In fact, ALL fights shown on the main card transmission were finished. One was via KO, by the much improved Thiago Silva, while one other was a TKO. Besides that the rest of the fights shown on the card were subs. That's 8, yes 8!! submission victories on one card. Wouldn't like to be Dana picking a winner for sub of the night on that one.

Of particular note was a slick knee bar finish by Antonio Braga Neto in a 1 round roll over. Rony Jason's triangle from guard and Daniel Sarafian's head and arm triangle were also pretty amazing and had me jumping up and down in front of the TV.

But most surprising and most exciting was Fabricio Werdum himself, getting an arm bar over the legendary Minitoro! I've been a big fan of Werdum's for a while now and seeing him blast past a major opponent in Nogueira and possibly challenge for the title is amazing.

Suppose that leaves nothing left but for me to shamelessly post up a picture of me and Fabricio Werdum (and Marcus and Gary) from the ADCC 2011 in Nottingham. Yes, he's fucking enormous!


I'm gonna get some light technical training in this week as I help my Hereford replacement, Marc Aplin, train for his first gi competition. Can't wait to get a gi back on. ¬m/

No comments: