Saturday 5 November 2011

Favoured Positions: Ezekiel Choke.

No training this week due to some night time works I've been supervising. I haven't really even had a chance to get on my computer to update.

The next in my line of "Favoured Techniques" is what I consider to be my really lazy top move. If my Cardio is starting to flag and my creativity gone out the window and no is arm being freely offered for an armbar attempt I will invariably fall back on the Ezekiel Choke. It is a move which is both at the same time easy to pull off and leaves you feeling a little bit cheap. By this I mean if you get the tap using this move, its easiness makes you feel like you haven't tried hard enough.

The technique was originally a judo submission called Sode guruma jime and was brought over into the world of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by a Brazilian Judo practitioner called Ezekiel (first name I believe). For some bizarre reason I cannot recall when I was taught this move. My first recollection of the move was what seems like ages ago now, driving up to Trojan Bristol with Ian (Rossiter) and my long time training partner Marcus (Hedley), with Ian saying that Marcus had got his first tap the week previous up at Trojan using the Ezekiel. I wasn't familiar with the name so asked what it was, Ian explained and I remember thinking that I knew and had used the move but can't remember from when (probably old Burnham days).

Anyway, the Technique is most effective from full mount but can also garner results from half guard and side mount and is even one of the rare chokes that can occasionally be effective from inside an opponents guard. I have tapped people using this move from all of these positions so can definitely confirm that it is an effective sub. From Mount make sure you have established a strong mount position where you are not prone to being thrown off. Lay down onto your opponent and wrap one of your arms around his neck. Using the hand of that arm grab inside the sleeve of the opposite arm using a four figured grip. Then pass the sleeve arm over the top of the opponents neck placing the forearm directly across the throat and push down with both arms. This will put an intense choke onto your opponent which, if got right first time, can usually earn a panic tap, but even if the guy holds on he will eventually choke out.


Here is the technique demonstrated by Daniel Moraes.
 
It's also worth noting that the Ezekiel Choke can be a very handy move to distract your opponent or to set up other techniques, particularly the triangle choke from mount. All in all it's a great move but one that starts to become a bit of a habit, leading the rest of your game to stagnate sometimes. This is why I've recently made a conscious decision to stop using the technique for a while. Plus I've seen an awesome omoplata from the mount that I've been dying to hit.

No comments: