Thursday 19 January 2012

Checkmat Bristol 17-1-12

Venue: LA Gym, Bristol
Instructor: Chico Mendes

Can't go to Bjj Thursday (that's today, Wow you're behind Mart) at Sweat FA so met up with Ian and Marcus on Tuesday to go to Chico's class at LA Gym, Bristol. My body was still protesting a bit after the extended service it gave me at the Checkmat Training Camp/Seminar on Sunday and to make matters worse there had been an accident on the Long Ashton Bypass (our regular route into Bristol) so we had to go through Long Ashton, adding about 10 minutes plus to the journey. Consequentially, when we got there the warm up had been and gone and Chico was getting into the first technique. Triffic! I knew going in that it was a mistake to not warm up (at my ripe old age of 34) or I would be regretting it the next day (or two), but I wanted to ensure I got the most out of the lesson so did some stretches (not enough) whilst watching Chico demo the first move.

On the plus side I was totally chuffed to see that Chico was continuing the Half Guard theme from the Seminar so my new aim in life has taken a step forward. Chico started with a lengthy explanation of different tactics to use while playing Half Guard. Things he touched upon were foot/leg positioning, hand positioning, controlling the direction of the opponents head (don't let him start moving over your top shoulder or you risk being flattened out), avoiding being cross faced, escaping hips so as to be laying on your side (very important!).

He then had us drill various tactics, along with opponent head control from the Half Guard. You've got you're opponent in a half guard with the controlling leg going through between his legs and wrapping around his near side leg. You other leg is posted upward against your bottom leg and put up as a block to his body. Your near side hand is pushing his arm in toward his body (Chico demonstrated this at length, why it was important, why it's better to grab the wrist than the sleeve), You outside hand has a loose grip on the opponents nearside arm. Then you sit there and wait, bide your time until the opponent reacts with a pass attempt. From this position the opponent to do anything, generally pushes forward with his head. All you need do to counter this is use your outside hand that was previously on his arm, to flat hand push his face in the opposite direction so he stays on your strong side.

We paired up and drilled these different tweaks to half guard to see what we were comfortable with. I was with Marcus, who has been in an increasingly upbeat mood since his entry into the world of employment. We tried out all the different aspects of leg positioning, talking through a lot of them to decide which felt better and more controlling.

Chico then moved us on to a nifty half guard sweep. Over wrap the opponents nearside arm (whizzer style), push the other arm into his torso (as above). Release the outside leg figure four  (ensure your inside leg is firmly crossed over his near side leg for control) then put hook against his near side inside thigh (same as Neto taught us at the seminar on Sunday). Then, wait for the opponent to make a move. As soon as he attempts to pass or flatten you out you can push up with the hook and sweep him over onto his back usually landing in side control but if the opponent is fast (Marcus is very fast) and your technique is sloppy/timing is off,  they can scramble to secure half guard bottom. We drilled this move for a short time and found it very effective and easy to get to grips with.


From there, Chico moved us on to a very tasty omoplata from that same set up. You're in position where you're waiting for the opponent to react. From here there's this additional option. Pull your bottom leg (the one that's wrapped around his nearside leg) out and up a bit so it’s between you and the opponent, then release the guys outside hand and use your hand to push the guys face away whilst posturing yourself backward. Then you can swing your hook leg out and over the shoulder for the omoplata. Chico pointed out that laying the leg flat instead of bending it round decreases chances of the guy powering out. *Also, when using your free hand to clamp down the opponents body so he can't roll over, ensure you don't just secure a leg or something by accident as the opponent can then, not only roll out of the move, but also roll into a position where you are left in the exact same hold. (Bloody awesome!!)

After drilling these moves for a short while we were moved on to situational Half Guard sparring. I  quickly ran off the mat to grab my gum shield and by the time I got back Chico had stolen Marcus off me so I managed to pick up a stray Josh Kersey and roll with him. The roll was fairly good for me as I managed to get into deep half (for the first time ever in an intended situation) and used the pull out the back door shrug sweep to rear mount. I was more chuffed for that one moment than for any submission I've pulled off in a long time. Doing something for the first time always feels good and this felt special as it's working towards my Half Guard goals. 

After Josh I managed to get a situational roll in with Marcus and actually managed to tap him out with a Kimura from Half Guard. Talk about on a roll. Marcus managed to pass my guard at one point though and we both managed to reclaim guard at one point.

Next was Jason Brookbanks. And he hasn't let up on his air tight guard yet. I managed to get a sweep on him when I was on bottom and he managed to reclaim guard once on me but neither of us managed a pass. After that we had a five minute roll and I stayed on with Jase. As mentioned before, sparring with Jase is fun because he goes at quite a hard, intense pace without doing it like an uncontrolled spaz whose trying to use all his strength at all times. You leave a roll with Jase knowing you've been pushed hard and feeling like he's demanded your full attention and ability. During the roll I managed to take Jason's back and the last 2 and half minutes featured me trying to submit him with him exhibiting some of the most stubborn and energetic rear mount defence I have rolled against. I had him in a bow and arrow at one point but he executed some brilliant moves to ensure I didn't get the tap from him and just as the session was called to an end he managed to escape and turn into my guard. Well done Jase. Top moves.

With that the class was over and so was my instalment of Bjj for another week. Loved the lesson, enjoyed practising half guard. Can't wait for more. Think I'm going to go home and take out the Ed Beneville books on the guard as they both have a healthy section on the half guard in them (1 for passing, 1 for sweeping). See ya Later \m/.


No comments: