Monday 2 January 2012

New Years Resolutions.

Happy New Year people. I've had a pretty insane Christmas and New Year period and have basically ignored blogland all together. I've just been catching up on some stuff via my feed reader and figured that I should probably post something for the New Year too.

First for a quick update on my general well being. Christmas was brilliant but really did a number on my fitness. I have not done any training at all since my last BJJ class on the 22nd of December and yet I have eaten enough for twelve men over the festive period (particularly choccies which are my personal weakness) which all adds up to me gaining (re-gaining?) a pretty impressive pot belly. My lung capacity is also resisting excessive brisk movement which is a bit alarming and I am increasingly glad that our household scales have broken in a somewhat suspiciously timed incident. In short, I have (as usual) loved Christmas but now it is fading in the rear-view mirror I am feeling some regret and guilt for my largess.

So for Bjj New Years Resolutions the first thing I need to deal with is getting back in shape again (if this blog continues on 'til next year I imagine you'll notice some sort of theme here). I will be hitting the treadmill daily for a few weeks and also busting out the weights with my good buddy Steve at the gym (Sweat FA for anyone who lives in Weston and is looking for a good gym). On top of this I will be trying to train BJJ as much as I can and going back to emergency diet mode on the food I'm eating. I should be back in shape by the end of January following this routine which is good as there is a Bjj Comp coming up sometime in March or April which I'd love to be in prime shape for.

Which brings me neatly on to my second resolution which is to compete more in 2012. Now this one is a bit easy as I've only competed in one event so I've set the bar nice and low for myself but I would ideally like to compete in at least 3 tournaments this year. I am intentionally leaving out possible achievements in competitions as I'm only 4 months in on my Blue Belt and don't give myself any chance of medalling (is that a word?), maybe just to win a couple of fights.

Things I want to achieve this year with my training:

I'd really like to polish up my guard game so I am resolving to attempt to spend at least fifty percent of my sparring time using some form of guard or another. I'd particularly like to brush up on my Half Guard (learn more sweeps) and my Butterfly Guard (learn anything I can) and steer away from trying to close my guard at every opportunity.

I'm also going to practice, practice, practice hitting triangles from whatever position I feel comfortable with. I'm going to read/watch as much as I can on hitting triangles from wherever possible and try to translate it into my game using the ones that work best with my body type (I'm quite short but also quite flexible). I hope to have tapped people out with a triangle over 5 times by the end of February in free sparring.

Another resolution is I still want to discipline myself to stop going for Ezekiel Chokes every time I get to mount. I've been getting better at this but the urge is still there. I need to stop this if I'm going to advance my game.

My last Bjj resolution is to intentionally try to take the back more often. Usually I'm happy to attack from side control or mount and take the back only if it comes. This year I want to actively seek the back and utilize my back attack game more often (which I actually feel is quite a strong part of my repertoire).

Other than all that I intent to absorb as much Bjj knowledge as I can and extend my technical skill set as much as possible. I read somewhere that the Blue Belt is where you learn the majority of your techniques. I will take this to heart and learn and perfect as much as my meagre brain will allow.

I cannot wait to train in 2012 and already feel that it will be my best and most productive year yet.

See you on the mats! Osssss! \m/

No comments: