Wednesday 18 April 2012

Checkmat - Bristol Combat Legion 17-4-12

Up at La Gym in Bristol this week, usual Trainer (for what used to be called Trojan Bristol, now Bristol Combat Legion) Chico Mendes has been on holiday in Brazil for a couple of weeks and is now over in the states to help Trojan Freefighters prospect, Che Mills, for his fight against Rory MacDonald at UFC 145. However, ready to step up and take his place for a couple of sessions was my usual Weston instructor, Ian Rossiter. And a great lesson Ian offered up for us this week. Attendance wasn't spectacular but it was mainly due to a drop in the number of MMA guys attending the Bjj class. No real loss, it was good to have a class of all gi students up there.





Venue: LA Gym - Bristol - Uk
Instructor: Ian Rossiter, Checkmat (Brown Belt).


Warm Up:
Laps of the mat, including, ass kicks, knee ups, facing inward for a lap, facing out for a lap and arm windmilling for a couple of laps. Neck, Arm and Shoulder stretching. Push ups 10x4, Squats 10x 4,  Crunches 10 x 4, then some leg stretching.


Techniques:


For the first technique of the night Ian started us off on a series of moves from the closed guard with overhook. To start Ian just ran us through an effective way to gain the overhook control. Beginning with the opponent in your closed guard postured up with hands down at your gi lapel. Using both hands, grip one of the opponents sleeves at the cuff (use thumb in grip and then use the fingers to turn the gi cuff inside out on itself for a legal yet tight grip). Now simultaneously break the opponents posture down by pulling toward you with your closed legs while at the same time yanking up with your hands and pulling the opponents arm out straight and over your shoulder. Now, with the same side arm as the one the opponent has extended over your shoulder (so if it's his right arm over, use your left), swim the arm in and then over the top of the extended arm and then back underneath to grab a hold the guys opposite side lapel. This is overhook control from guard and is a very tight controlling guard with a good few options.
We drilled just getting to this position to start with. I paired off with the returning Jason Brookbanks, who it was good to see back on our Southern Mats.




Ian moved us on from there to a standard gi choke. From the overhook control you just use your free arm to pass it over the guys near shoulder then draw the arm back down across the face until your hand reaches his shoulder, at which point your grab a handful of his gi at the shoulder and scoop your arm upward under his jaw/face to apply the choke.
This is a fairly easy and effective choke that I have never actually pulled off in free sparring. To be honest I never really utilise the overhook control (I can sense a new long term goal coming on) which is a shame as there's so many options from it, but I generally prefer to keep away from my opponent, not close up.
Me and Jase drilled this move and felt impressed by the tightness of the choke. If the opponent only tries to defend this one by dropping his chin you can use the scooping motion of the forearm to jemmy his head up a bit and tighten on the choke.




Next move in the sequence was a move I affectionately call the Rickson Armbar. As described in the Saulo Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu University Manual, Saulo was present at a seminar where Rickson tapped out the entire class in free sparring using that one move.
The technique was shown to us from the Overhook Guard start. If you try to go for the gi choke but the opponent postures himself up slightly and drops his head down to the side and uses his free arm he can block out the choke. From here you open your guard and escape your hips out to the side, then put your far side foot on the nearside hip of your opponent and use the knee of that leg to press against the back of your overhooking arm putting immense pressure on the opponents trapped arm at the elbow.
I love this move. When executed correctly it gets a pleasant an very immediate tap. It is however, one of those techniques where the size of yourself and your opponent may require you to adjust your positioning somewhat. To demonstrate this Ian had use drill the move with guys of different sizes. I drilled the move first off with Jase, on who I hit the move quite easily using the foot on hip method. Jase on the other hand had difficulty getting it on me as I'm a bit bigger than him, but with a quick adjustment bringing the foot up to my ribcage instead he got it in real tight.
Next up I drilled the technique against Josh Kersey, whose a very tall lad. When he tried the moved on me he landed it easily with foot on hip (and it felt REALLY tight) but for me on him I had to escape my hips a touch further and raise the foot to the ribcage to get the tap. Important to remember.




Moving on, Ian shown us the next step in this sequence. If you're going for the armbar but the opponent then drops the trapped arm down and back at the elbow, effectively blocking the armbar, you can then transition to the omoplata. From the position you were left in attempting the armbar, bring the foot that was on the opponents hip up and lay it across his back whilst turning out to the side so as to come out at a 90 degree angle to the side of the opponent keeping the opponents arm to the outside of your torso (don't allow it to go across you or you'll lose the hold). With the downward leg pressure you can now afford to release the overhooking grip on the gi collar and pull the arm out and use it to secure the opponent at the belt so he can't roll out of the hold. Now you can complete the turning of your body, bringing the leg you have underneath out and bringing the leg that's on his back over and forward. From here you pressure down with your body weight on his back and lean forward and across his back a bit to apply the submission. Lovely move.
Me and Jase drilled this with a guy called Ed (friend of Jase') stepping in aswell. The move is fairly awesome but we let Ed have a good share of the drillling of this as he needed the experience for it.


To finish off the technique portion of the night, Ian showed us a few very effective finishes for the omoplata from that position. As you've turned to face front with the arm wrapped over your leg and secured down by your side, your opponent is still up on his hand and knees slightly. For the most effective finish you need to flatten the opponent out.
The first method for this just involves kicking your legs forward hard to take the opponent down using his own shoulder being thrust forward. If you find that you're not getting this move to work well it's probably that you're not far enough forward to use the thrust with any degree of success. Just bump your hips forward toward the guys shoulder so you're tight in against it, then try again. Works a charm.
The second method shown for flattening out involves swapping the arm securing the opponent at the belt for the outside arm, then using the nearside hand to grip the opponent at the gi pant lower leg (his nearside leg) and then pulling your body laterally away from him (remember his arm is trapped under your leg) whilst pushing away with your hand. This flattens the guy out next to you and is arguably the better technique for flattening a guy out. Or at least it's the one I've always used successfully.
For both of these you finish the hold by leaning forward and across the guys body for the tap.
The third finish of this doesn't involve flattening the guy. Although the move is quite risky as it's very escapable, you can get the tap on the guy in his postured up state. Simply reach across and grab the opponents gi under the far side arm pit and pull your self up to be on top of his back. Ensuring you have maximum body weight on him so he can't move out, you can now just lean forward and toward the far side shoulder for a nice painful sub.
I drilled these moves with Ed. I mostly helped him get the technique down to pat.


To finish off the night we did a bit of 3 way rolling. 2 guys spar for a minute then the third guy attacks the guy with the advantageous position. Then you just switch in that order taking the most dominating position when it's your turn to drop in.

I trio'd off with Jase and Rich Long for the first one. I jumped guard against Jase to start but didn't manage to sweep him within the minute so Rich attacked Jase. Jase managed to recover guard which was the position it stayed in until I stepped in allowing me to attack Rich's back from the off. From there I managed to hit a fairly quick and cheeky Bow and Arrow choke on Rich. After the restart I jumped guard and then Jase switched in, jumping on me into Side Control. I managed to escape to first half guard, then I managed a half guard sweep to get to top just before Rich jumps in attacking side control. I was so busy hanging out of my ass for the next minute that I didn't see what happened but I ended up taking Rich's back again for my minute against him. Rich defend much better this time and the round played out with me unsuccessfully attacked Rich at the rear mount.
Excellent fast and frenetic paced rounds there. Everyone in the room puffing smoke.


The second group I went with was Ed and this massive guy called Ryan. Me Ryan started and I was immediately shocked by just how strong Ryan was, dumping me straight on my back and frantically trying to past my guard. Ryan exhibited all the hall marks of an MMA Bjj practitioner though and just tried to pass using pure strength, throwing my legs to the side most attempts. I managed to retain guard and was just getting an overhook gi choke attempt in when Ed jumped in an took Ryan's back. Ed tried for a kind of Gi choke from behind until Ryan managed to buck him off and started attacking his guard. I jumped in at this point to side control, then used a gift wrap with single hook to pull Ed over and take his back. From there I quickly finished him with a bow and arrow choke and then reset to guard. Ryan quickly jumped in then and got side control on me from which I executed an escape that I was fairly chuffed with. Using my arms to push Ryan away a touch, I swung my leg closest his head up and around his head and brought my other leg to the other side of his head and used my knees to clamp his head there. I then span out of the side of his control and rolled him over so I ended up with side control on him. I was pretty chuffed with that move. From there I managed to get to mount but my minute ended before I could do anything with it.
The rest it a bit of a blur, I know I took Eds back again but got nothing from it and I know Ryan jumped me straight to mount but postured up WAY to high in his mount so I just swept him straight backwards off me using my legs. Our round finished with me attacking side control after escaping out the side of a triangle attempt. Good round. Good class.

It was a great nights training and everyone seemed to be buzzing afterwards as well. Those quick paced rounds where you're attacking one minute then suddenly your world come crashing down around you make for a real adrenaline pump and help you practise your survival defense.

Great sesh. Well done Ian \m/

No comments: