Monday 14 January 2013

DV8 Bjj 10/3/13

After last weeks cardio blip most of our class seemed to have suffered, Ian decided to take a different tack at the most recent DV8 class on Thursday night.


Venue: Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, Uk
Instructor: Ian Rossiter (Black Belt, Checkmat).


Warm Up:

He started us off with a trimmed down version of the usual basic warm up. Lap of the mat with arm wind mills, butt kicks and knee ups. Then stopped and ran us through some upper body stretching, then straight on to the leg stretching. I was beginning to get a bit suspicious at this point. Ian NEVER cuts the warm up short. Unless he has something horrible planned!!

We then did a couple of circuits of the below exercises:

step ups
elevated push ups
crunches
skipping
vaulting
burpees
sprints
turn overs


20 seconds of each x 2 sets.

I felt pretty knackered after the first set but strangely, by the time the second set was done I felt really buzzing. Fully warmed up and raring to go. I kinda hope we do more stuff like that to warm up in future. It'll certainly help shift some of this gut I need to move by the 17th of Feb.


Techniques.
(For simplicity, I always explain techniques from the side and using the grips that I initially learned them)


Attacking the back was Ian's theme of the day and we started off with a sweet Rear mounted Collar slide choke. You are seated and have your opponent between your legs with his back to you in "Rear Mount". You have both your hooks in and an over under (seat belt) grip on hi upper body. It's your left arm that is tucked under his left arm that starts this technique. You open his left lapel with your left hand so you right hand that is over his right shoulder can pass across his face and get a good deep collar grip on his left collar. You now cross your left hand over to a low grip on his right lapel, tightening the slack around his neck. To finish the technique you lay back, letting your entire upper body finish the move by tautening the collar, cutting of the flow of blood.



Next up was a Rear Mounted Half Nelson Choke. Same start again all the way up to the right hand across face grip of the left collar. From there you bring your left arm up underneath his left and pass it behind his head. This move is once again finished by leaning back using your upper body to tighten the choke.


Ian let me demo the next technique as it is my all time favourite back attack, the Bow and Arrow Choke. From the hooks in rear mount position you reach across face with the right hand and take a grip of the opponents left collar. Doesn't have to be too deep a grip. You now lean your upper body out to the left side and grab the guys pant leg at the knee, pull yourself further out and to the side of the opponent. Your left leg at this point should be across the guys sternum area and the right leg now gets passed over his right shoulder. Once again leaning back, the upper body does all the work finishing this move.
Love that technique, it's an all time fave!!


The last technique was the Rear mount transition to armbar. I have covered this move many times on this blog so have no need to do so again.



Rolling:

First up I was against Dan. Remembering how Dan poured on the power last week I went on the instant offensive and took Dan down to his guard. He recovered briefly to which I managed to get him back there again. I then went on a mission to pass his guard, starting with Smash pass attempts, a knee slide attempt and managed, eventually to get a Toreando pass. I held side control for some time before Dan was able to recover guard. We then performed a double sweep (he got me then I got him quickly back) and that was about when the round ended. Massively enjoyable round of sparring that was.



Next up was young Ash. We played at grip fighting for a bit before I pulled guard, mainly because I was bored of the grip fighting. Ash is getting a lot better with not extending his arms in my guard but he still did it eventually as he got more frustrated so I punished it with an arm bar.  I take no joy in hitting cheap arm bars on white belts but I feel they need to learn not to extend the arm in the opponents guard. The best way to learn something is to get caught by it. Ash came back too strong though and was trying to batter past my guard with out defending himself whilst doing it. I caught him with another harsh lesson by hitting a triangle on him. Something that I still struggle to learn sometimes (especially against Dan). I then briefed him on making sure that he doesn't try and attack a guard with one arm forward one arm back, unless he has the guys off leg defended from going over the shoulder.



I had a quick tussle with a New kid called Mike - I mostly showed him some escapes and stuff but at one point he was coming in to my guard very hard, trying to use main strength to throw my legs out of the way so I got him with a Gogoplata. I was damn chuffed with that.


I finished with a round against the Professor. We started off and i was able to threaten a takedown enough for Ian to pull guard. I managed, after a lot of struggling, to pass his guard to side control, then transitioned to mount where he held me with a kimura style lock that I spent the rest of the round struggling to get out of. It was a pretty wily trick as he wouldn't of been able to finish me like that but at the same time I wasn't getting anything on him either. I was just formulating a response to it when the buzzer went.


Great class. Great warm up. Good sparring at the end. It's what we do it for ;o)


No comments: