Thursday 24 January 2013

DV8 Bjj - 24/1/13

I have felt like absolute shite all week and haven't rolled at all since the last Thursday's session. I have had a pretty meaty cough (you know the type where you're coughing uncontrollably for up to a minute at a time and it doesn't seem to be clearing off your lungs) and managed to convince myself that it was on it's way out come Thursday. So I thought going training would be an amazing idea to blast through the last little bit of grogginess. Silly move. Felt worse after.

It was a good class though. Even though Ian had troubles getting there due to be horrendously late back from work because of some roadworks on his route back into Weston. Fortunately recently awarded purple belt, Glenn Cutter, was ready and willing to step up and take the class.



We started off with a circuit round featuring 30 seconds on each of these exercises:

Hop overs
Skipping
Kettlebell sit ups
Kettlebell round the worlds
Elevated push ups
Step ups
Tricep dips
Ab leg raises.
Squats
Sprints
Scissor jumps

Everyone's blood was suitably pumping after that so we finished it with some stretching and then Glenn started us with some techniques.


Techniques.
 (For simplicity, I always explain techniques from the side and using the grips that I initially learned them)


With the aim of demonstrating escapes from the triangle choke in mind, Glenn first wanted the Triangle Choke from closed guard demonstrated. As this move is definitely the forte of one Dan Foster we handed the instruction of this technique over to him. Dan is very dangerous with his triangle choke, only needing a whiff of it before he's nearly instantaneously got the whole thing locked in and you tapping furiously to stay conscious. Dan showed the conventional method for the triangle choke from closed guard, where you push (or punch) the opponent's left arm back towards him and fire your right leg up and behind him across his shoulders, securing the leg with your hand past the other side of his head. You then shift out to your right a bit and close your left leg over the top of your right so the right ankle is in the crook of your knee. Ensure the guys right arm is pulled across your body to close the angle on his neck. If all of this is done correctly a good squeeze with the legs should finish the deal. If the positioning is correct and you haven't let his arm get inside or left too much space in there, you shouldn't need to pull down on the head.
We mixed the class up for drilling this move so the newer guys all got paired off with someone with experience.



Once we'd got a good bit of Triangle drilling done, Glenn lead us on to his point for the lesson. Triangle escapes. For the first, you're in your opponent's triangle (left arm is forward in triangle) so you immediately want to take some of the strain off. Step out around to the opponent's left side to kneel in on his ribs, stacking him up at the same time. You then use the small space you should've made at his legs to push your left hand in. You can now switch your lower half by leaning into his right leg and then stepping your right leg through. This motion should drive his legs further apart, taking away the pressure of the triangle and allowing you to either force his legs to the side and attain side control or force your way into his guard depending on how the scramble works out for you.




The second was my preferred escape of the two. From in the triangle once again, you brace the hips away by pushing your right forearm (the forward arm) into his hips and form the brace by pushing that arm down with your left. From there you sit down and wrap your legs around the outsides to close around his midriff. You can now lean/push backward to drive yourself out of the hold. I really like that escape!!The only questions you're left with is how to gain a dominant position from there.




Situational Rolling

For sparring tonight we did situational rolling first from guard. It was submit or get passed being the basic premise.

I was against Glenn'son, Ash first and then the new Italian guy (whose name eludes me).


Rolling

For proper rolling I went against Ash first.


I then had a good roll against Glenn. I quickly got to Guard where I was for a while until Glenn got into my half guard. Whilst aiming up for a sweep from that position Glenn committed to an Americana so I got managed to overbalance and sweep him to come up into his guard.


Next roll was against Luke "Testosterone" Brown. I pulled guard initially but during a sweep attempt Luke managed to crack me a beauty in the nose with his knee. Because I wasn't sure if it was bleeding I quickly slapped an inverted triangle on Luke so I could come up and check my nose. To be fair, Luke showed great defence against the triangle. In the end I let it go as I was gassing my legs out. Nose was ok though.


Last roll of the night was against Sean - I managed to dispatch him quickly with a bow and arrow choke. After the reset I played around with my guard for a bit.


Great session considering how I felt. I should be feeling better soon though (please).

¬m/

No comments: