Wednesday 13 February 2013

DV8 Bjj 7/2/13

This week down at the DV8 Bjj class at Sweat FA Weston, usual instructor Ian Rossiter was away in Greece on a 4 day Leo Vieira seminar (the lucky bastard) leaving the lesson up to Dan Foster and me. Now I love teaching Bjj even though I'm very new to it but Dan is a good solid Blue Belt for the club too and he seemed keen on doing a bit of teaching too so I let him take the lions share of the class as I'd done the week previous.


Warm Up:

As is the norm these days we did a circuit of stuff with 30 seconds being spent on each station. This week most of the stations were once again pretty Bjj specific:


Roller Wheel (Like a push up but using a roller wheel, sending your arms forward then back toward you)

Alligator crawl (Jacare)

Mounted Arm bar drills

Back manoeuvres (lying flat on back with feet around a cone, shifting your position on the floor to practice position shifting in guard)

Skipping

Weighted sit ups

Back manoeuvres (Same again)

Step ups

Press ups

Back manoeuvres (And again. Dan wanted these a lot as it was specific for his class)


Techniques:

Rather awesomely, I decided to break out the video camera that my wife lovingly gave me Christmas 2011 for the purpose of videoing Bjj techniques.  This worked well for me and I had loads of fun editing some of the vids, particularly as I'd never done it before. There was one with Dan explaining a technique that I slowed down to 50 % speed and it sounds like Dan got stoned just before class :oD

Anyway......

The first thing Dan demo'd was just a couple of details on how he prefers to do Arm bars and Triangles from guard. We'd covered these techniques a bit in recent weeks but Dan just wanted to start the class off with a little recap and add his clamping detail.

To move the lesson on, Dan wanted to show the ease with which you can transition between the Arm bar to the triangle to the omoplata and back. We then drilled these for while. It was a good effective drill and got people very used to hitting three different subs. Good skill.




For his third technique demonstration, Dan was torn between showing the Triangle from Spider Guard and a Triangle escape that he favours. So we convinced him to show both :o)
This first one is the Triangle from Spider.
And this is the Triangle Escape.



For my small part in the lesson I continued on from my last weeks theme by showing an escape from North South. Unfortunately I didn't think to get anyone to video it so I'm back to the good old description method. You've got an opponent with North South top control on you. You must ensure your elbows are pulled in tight to your sides to start with, so the opponent isn't gifted with a kimura or arm bar. Now this escape will only work if the opponent is controlling you with his legs tight to your head not sprawled out. As long as this is the case you can reach up with both hands and grab the guys pant leg on each side. You then straighten your legs out and swing them first as far right as they'll go, then swing them back left. As you swing the legs back pendulum like, you need to pull the guys left leg toward your left shoulder whilst pushing up with the right arm. This should (and does if executed correctly) tip the guy over away from you with you coming up on top into side control.


I was pretty chuffed with the video stuff. I think I shall be carrying this on.



Sparring:

For this weeks sparring I went with Rich Presley (who was sporting his new Blue Belt), Chris Cook, Rob Morris, Sean Errock and Dan Foster.


I got a few taps and generally had a pretty good work out. Can't remember any details at all so I won't bore you.

I'm now only a week away from the Hereford Open 16 where I am competing again at -88.3kg. I can't wait. I hope this time I can come in a bit better prepared and maybe make a better try of it than last time.

¬m/

No comments: