Tuesday 12 March 2013

DV8 Bjj 7/3/13

I've had a brilliant week of training this last week. DV8 club mate Luke Brown has been training very regularly down Sweat FA at lunchtimes and he's really pushing his game on. He even got his first sub on me on Tuesday with a cheeky little arm bar. His technical knowledge is coming along great and I honestly couldn't be happier. If there was ever any doubt in my mind that I wanted to teach before, seeing the likes of Luke and Chris Cook advance their abilities with direct input from me has definitely solidified my long term intentions with this martial art I love so much.

This week down Sweat FA was a good one. Numbers were up a bit from last week and the returning Cameron Rothery was good to see. We even had our first girl in a long time training with us!? She seemed to like it enough too.


Venue: Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, Uk.
Instructor: Ian Rossiter (Checkmat Black Belt).


Warm Up:

We started with some laps of the mat with arm wind-milling and side stepping, then went on to some upper body stretching.

Next we did our Tabata circuit featuring:

(All these items are done in unison)
Everyone doing 20 seconds of high knee running on spot

then 10 seconds of pausing in squat

20 seconds of press ups

10 seconds paused in plank

20 seconds of crunches

10 seconds paused in a v sit up

20 seconds of jump high on spot

10 seconds of pause in squat

Then do the same circuit again.

We then finished off the warm up with a bit of  lower body stretching.



Techniques:
(As usual I will describe techniques from the side I initially learnt them).


The first move Ian ran us through this week was a back take transition from closed guard. With the opponent in your closed guard with his hands clenched into your waist line or gripping your belt (to try and push your hips to the floor), you first need to break their posture down. To do this you pass one arm under his opposing arm, in my case my right under his left, and pass your left arm over his right shoulder, gripping your hands together behind his back. You can now use your body weight to pull the guy's upper body down toward you, collapsing his posture. From this position you can use your right arm to shunt open a larger gap between his left arm and his body so you can pass your head underneath the arm and escape out to your right (his left) side. Keeping the opponent held in position using your arms you can now open your guard and bring your left leg inside and put it between his legs, triangling that leg with your other. You can now bring yourself up to your knee, maintaining the half guard from behind type leg entanglement on the guy, with him turtled up. To finish the transition you just need to pass your right arm under his right to take a grip of his (right) wrist and then fall/topple your weight over to your left whilst pulling his right arm up. You neatly fall sideways and then (depending on your weight to opponent's weight ratio) come up into a seated position, pulling the guy in front of you as you go. As you've use his arm to get him there it should be in a pulled up position so there is plenty of room for you to pop your right hook in to get the full back mount worth 4 points in competition. A nice transition that is very attainable against a resisting opponent. 



The next couple of techniques were collar chokes from the closed guard. The first was a standard cross collar choke. With the opponent in your guard you open his collar and get a good deep grip of his right lapel with your right hand. You then pass your left hand over the top of your right arm and take a grab of the gi material at his left shoulder. Now, keeping your elbows in tight to your body, you pull the guy in tight toward your body. The movement of your elbows running down across your sides scissors the forearms across the neck/throat of the opponent to finish the choke.



For the second Ian varied the move for if the opponent blocks your initial attack. You've got as far on the above technique as the right hand getting the deep grip of the opponent's right collar. You go for the grip with the left hand and the guy uses his left to block it. Instead of playing for the collar with your left then, you can now switch your aim and grab for the opponent's newly presented left arm at the cuff. With a firm grip of this you can then pull it across his body so it acts as the other part of the choke. Bringing your upper body out to the guy's left side you can now pull tight on the collar with your right hand while pushing across with your left so his arm tightens the choke across his neck. A very creative move.



Sparring:

For my first roll this week I had the pleasure of going against an ever improving Rich Presley. We had a pretty good, competitive roll in which although I had most of the control, I still didn't manage to get a sub.



Next up was my weekday regular training partner, Luke. Luke's confidence has grown quite a bit since hitting the arm bar on me earlier in the week and he's really attacking with stuff now. Being quite strong and athletic makes him really tough in the scramble so when I over committed for a takedown, Luke was quick to capitalise and nearly got me with another arm bar. My defending was better this time though and I managed to escape and take his back, quickly securing myself a bow and arrow choke. Luke has grown to hate that move :o). To his credit he didn't loose his cool after being tapped, unlike previous times we've sparred, instead re-setting and coming in slowly to try and gain position.


Next up was Chris Cook and I was pretty chuffed with this roll as I managed to hit another crucifix roll to gi choke on him. Not bad seeing as how I only learned the technique last week.



Last one was a go against Ian. It was a damn good round with Ian gaining side control on me quite quickly to which I was able to recover to half guard nice and quick. I was stuck there for a bit though with Ian playing a strong controlling half guard top game and me having to switch sides and angles quite a bit to get a recovery. I managed it in the end though, coming up to my knees and taking him with a single leg. The round ended with me attacking his guard.


So that was another eventful week in Bjj for me. Lots of training and sparring and I'm even starting to introduce techniques into my sessions with Luke and Chris that I need a lot of drilling on also, so I'm getting a bit more out of the sessions.



Until next week ¬m/

No comments: