Saturday 2 March 2013

DV8 Bjj 28/2/13

I managed to get in a damn good amount of training this week. Tuesday evening I was at Sweat FA, Weston, with Chris Cook for some hard sparring. Wednesday and Friday lunch times I hit the mats with Luke Brown for some technique training and sparring. And of course Thursday night was our usual class with Ian Rossiter down at Sweat FA. Gotta love loads of training. In fact I would gladly train every day if I could. Although I think I'd probably ache like crap. Anyway......


Warm Up:

This weeks warm up started with a little taste of the old style with some laps of mat with arm wind milling and side steps etc.

We then went on to the usual upper body stretching.

And then we were back to our Tabata circuit featuring:

(All these items are done in unison)
Everyone doing 20 seconds of high knee running on spot

then 10 seconds of pausing in squat

20 seconds of press ups

10 seconds paused in plank

20 seconds of crunches

10 seconds paused in a v sit up

20 seconds of jump high on spot

10 seconds of pause in squat

Then do the same circuit again.

We then finished off the warm up with a bit of leg stretching.


Techniques:
(As usual I will describe techniques from the side I initially learnt them).


The first move Ian showed was the a nice touch on one of my old favourites. A Flower sweep to dummy to arm bar. Your training partner is in your closed guard. You can't seem to get a decent grip on his pant legs as his legs are tensed up leaving no slack on the pants. To rectify this you raise your legs effectively pulling the guy toward you with your closed guard. This makes him untense his legs slightly, giving you the opportunity to grab a hand full of pant leg at his left knee with your right hand. With your left hand you grab his right sleeve at the cuff with a pocket grip and force the guys arm down toward his lower body by straight arming it. As you lower you legs back down so he comes back to his knees you are at the set up point for your flower sweep. From there you open your guard and, angling your body out to your right, use the high leg kick up with your right leg at the rear of his left shoulder whilst pulling up on his pant leg to break the guy's posture down. You then bring your left leg up over the top of his face/head and kick forward with your legs whilst pushing up with your right arm pant grip to flip the guy over onto his back with you in the traditional arm bar setup. As you had his right arm straight armed down toward his crotch/lower belly area, when you kick out forward and flip him down his arm is positioned neatly between your legs in your arm bar trap. Now depending on how defence savvy your opponent is you might have an easy arm bar or you might have to fight for it. Alternatively, if the guy is stronger and you're not having a lot of luck breaking his arm bar grip defense you can just jump up into technical mount anyway.

 

The second technique we did was the Flower sweep from closed guard. My old friend. Ian knows that I like this one so much that he let me demo it. And as it's one of my favourite techniques I did a write up on it some time back which I'll link Here (flower-sweep).


We then did a line up drill of both techniques by having two groups. 1 guy on each team gets on his back and the rest of his group approach him one at a time and he does the one of the moves on each in succession (being sure to mix it up). Quite a fun method of drilling the techniques.


After that Ian changed it up and, at the request of one of the guys, demo'd an Escape from a nearly sunk in Rear Naked Choke. With the guy behind you in full sat up rear mount with both hooks in, he has his right arm around across your face/neck and is just levelling it up with the crook of the other arm, passing that arm behind your head, to finish. First thing to down is pull down on the guy's cross face arm and get the chin down inside the guy's arm. Next, and this really should be done very quickly, you scoot you ass down so your head is no longer up level with his upper chest/neck but rather, has dropped down to his lower chest. Now he'll have a hard time finishing the move giving you more time to work. With your left hand you reach up and grab his left hand (the one that's behind your head) and pull it down forward to totally relieve the pressure. Bringing your feet up to near your butt moves the opponent's hooks up high allowing you to then drop your right leg quickly and use you right elbow positioning to edge the hook outside. You can now quickly flip over to your left side taking a hold of the guy's left leg when you get there. If he's quick and intelligent he'll realise he's lost the position and at least try to recover some semblance of half guard. If he's and idiot and tries to keep on with the rear mount (you know we've all been there), you can get a good single leg grip on him and use it to pass to side control.
A great escape from a difficult position bit it really is all about getting the movements in quick before the RNC is fully locked in. Otherwise, to quote Kurt Osiander, "Hey Bro, you fucked up a long time ago".


Rolling:

This week I got a good roll in with Dan Foster. Something I look forward to as he really know's how to push me hard and make me work. During this roll I managed to hit a De la Riva sweep to back which I was chuffed to fuck about. Dan managed a pretty damn good rear mount escape shortly after that while I was kind of mentally patting myself on the back so he had a good moment too.


My next round was with Sean Errock who once again dazzled me with his wrestling technique to get me to my back. I was able to tap him from my back eventually but I can't for the life of me remember what with. It certainly wasn't the gogoplata that I very nearly hit him with I know that much.


Last up was a returning Rich Presley. Had a good back and forth roll with Rich this week with neither gaining the upper hand. Rich was exhibiting some really high quality inverted moves to stop my passes too so he can take the moral victory there for style points.


And so it was that another brilliant week of Bjj training had come to pass. A better week of training than some I have to say, especially with the amount of mat time I got in and with the advancement that some of the guys at our club seem to be making. I'm particularly proud of Chris Cook and Luke Brown who are both coming on very well, benefiting from the extra technique and sparring sessions they're putting in. With Bjj, the more effort the student puts in, the more apparent their advancement of skills. Keep up the hard work lads and it'll reap its own rewards.

No comments: