Tuesday 23 April 2013

DV8 Bjj 18/4/13

So the boss wasn't there for Thursday's lesson as he was attending a wedding. Which was pretty good for me as it meant that I had the opportunity to do a bit of teaching again. Excellent. Of course I shared the honours with Glenn Cutter (what with him being a higher grade than me and all that) and we kicked out a fairly decent lesson if I do say so myself.




Venue: Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, Uk
Instructors: Glenn Cutter (Purple Belt, Checkmat DV8), Martin Eyre (that's me, Blue Belt Checkmat DV8)

Warm up:
Glenn took them through the warm up. I say them as I spent most of the warm up time sweeping shit off of the mats from the kick boxer class before. Not ACTUAL shit just so you know. That would be pretty gross. Just regular fluff and grime and hair etc. There just seemed to be a lot of it on this occasion and I did not fancy rolling about in all that.

So Glenn took them through some stretching and then did our standard Tabata drill. I didn't join in until half way through the tabata.



Situational Rolling
Glenn then had us doing a load of situational rolling.
We did;
Closed Guard Top for pass.
Closed Guard Bottom for sweep or submit.

Open Guard against standing opponent for maintaining guard..
Standing in opponent's open guard for passing.

Mounting opponent for submission.
On Back, Mounted for escaping the mount.

Attacking opponent's Turtle for submitting or taking his back.
Turtled up for resisting opponent's attacks.


This was a good start to the lesson and definitely got the blood suitably pumping.

Techniques
Next up was the technique side of things which I took the lesson for.
(As usual I will describe techniques from the side I initially learnt them).


First up was an Ezekiel Choke from Side Control. I showed this one as if you just passed the opponent's guard to get to side control to the guy's right side. As you land in side control you need to pull underhook his right (nearside) arm with your left. You pass your right arm around the guys neck, pushing the arm through as far as you can so your hand comes around to the right of his head. With that hand you use a "fingers in" grip of your left sleeve and then pass your left arm across the side/front of his throat. Pushing out with both of your hands should finish the painful Ezekiel Choke but if you're finding trouble you just need to switch your legs to lay flat out on your front, increasing the pressure on the guy's neck. A lovely finish and it seemed popular with the lads.


The second move I showed was an Arm Bar from Side Control. You have the strong side control on the opponent with your legs out to his right. You have managed to get the opponent to commit one of the cardinal side control bottom sins as he's attempting to hold you down by wrapping his left arm over your right shoulder whilst his right arm is underhooking your left and he's locking hands behind your back. Although a lot of guys use this technique to try and recover breath at side control bottom all they're actually doing is holding you to them. To punish them for this you need to get a firm grip of the opponent's left arm with your right, hugging it hard to your right shoulder, leaning towards his legs a bit too. Applying a liberal bit of pressure to the guy's neck/face with your left forearm certainly wouldn't harm your efforts at this point either. Then you bring your left leg up to step over or near to the guy's head (still keeping heavy downward pressure on his upper torso). From there, in one move, you pivot around (turning right) on your feet, keeping your grip of the arm. Ensure you keep your left foot and bum tight to the guy when you come down on the other side of him. Keep your knees locked together tight and extend the guy's arm out for the arm bar.
I really love this move and have hit it loads of times in hard sparring. Most of the guys seemed to like it too but some struggled with the pivot movement.




Rolling:
We had and extra long rolling session this week. I have rounds against Rich Presley, Justin Thomas, Ash Cutter, Chris Cook, Dan Foster and Glenn Cutter.

I got a few subs in but nothing to write home about. My most memorable moment though was hitting a Standing Berimbolo Pass on Chirs Cook. I was massively chuffed about this, especially as I'd only learned the theory behind the move earlier that week and only had the chance to "try" it once on Rich Presley, half and hour before. So putting it into my sparring against Chris was a real straw grabber but it feckin' worked a treat!!!

Here's the move in the video I found it on courtesy of William Burkhardt on Youtube (although I orignally found it on LapelChoke.com ¬m/


No comments: