Sunday 18 September 2011

Blue Belt!!

Breaking away from the continuing story once again I feel the need to update you on a giant moment in my BJJ life. I probably would have/should have entered this post last night but I was so high on life (and quite a lot of lager) that I didn't trust what I would type. Yesterday afternoon I was lucky enough to attend a seminar with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Legend, Leo Vieira, Head of Checkmat Bjj at the Trojan Free Fighters gym in Cheltenham.

The seminar just reeked of awesome as soon as we walked through the door. Our Bristol instructor Chico Mendes had really treated us to great seminar with 6 (ending in 7) Black Belts in attendance. Joining Chico was Leo Vieira (obviously, it was his seminar after all), his brother Rico Vieira, Rafael Heck, ,Marco Canha and Marcus Donnici Sion. There weren't that many black belts in the room at the Welsh Open last year!

For time constraint and mis-management reasons I only participated in the Gi portion of the seminar. Leo was very no nonsense in his teaching approach getting straight to business showing a method of stopping a pass from Spider guard that then developed into a couple of submissions (2 gi chokes). He then progressed the movements as if the opponent had postured up out of the choke and the guy on the bottom moved into a deep half guard. We then trained a few different sweeps from deep half. All of this was fairly new ground for me as I've never really utilized a deep half guard before but after a couple of times drilling it all settle in and I'm glad to say that I still remember it all clearly the next day.

After all the technique training I was expecting a roll but Chico called a halt to the days training and started handing out belts. I did not know for sure that I was going to be graded although I knew it was a possibility, but as the names were being called out and the pile of belts was going down I was starting to think it wasn't my time. Rather callously, Chico let the supply of belts dwindle down to none leaving me feeling a bit gutted if I was being honest. But then he looked directly at me and said you, Martin, and I was suddenly washed over with a feeling of chuffed-ness. I got up and nervously walked to the front while my Weston instructor Ian got two more blue belts out of his bag, the other was for my mate Leighton. Chico then strapped the belt around my waist and shook my hand. Then I was shaking the hands of the other black belts in attendance including Leo Vieira (Legend :o) and having my picture taken (gotta get a copy of that).

After that came the traditional belt whipping. Two rows of blood thirsty jiu jitsu warriors armed with double folded, extra strength torture devices cunningly shaped like belts, make up the gauntlet that the newly promoted had to walk. Twice. Ouchy. Today my back looks like the result of a gang warfare beating. I still wouldn't change a thing though. Yesterday was one of the best days of my life :o)

Rico Vieira, Leo Vieira, Me and Chico Mendes. 
Or the four legends as I like to say it :o)     (If I get away with that one I'll be lucky).

No comments: