Saturday 10 September 2011

Gutted.

So Roger Gracie and Ronaldo Souza both lost at Strikeforce last night. I am gutted. I woke up nice and early, ran down stair and put the laptop on to check the result and it felt like someone punched me in the stomach. Twice. Bam! Jacaré loses a decision to Luke Rockhold. Bam! Roger Gracie gets knocked out! Aw man. I feel blue. I hope both of those guys can get their heads back in the game and rebound from this. I'm a big fan of theirs and want to see their careers go right to the top. These guys are carrying the flag for BJJ and that means everything in my world.

On a side (a slightly more selfish) note, I hope both these guys aren't to injured to compete at the ADCC in two weeks time though I've kind of got my doubts for Jacaré. Let's face it, the guy just went 5 rounds. That's 25 minutes in the hardest sport in the world. Good healing guys \m/

Oh, and well done to Josh Barnett. I've always had a soft spot for a big guy who likes to use submissions. Well done.

3 comments:

slideyfoot said...

I look forward to your origin story continuing: always fun to read how people got their start in BJJ. :)

Out of interest, as you mentioned holidays to Florida in your 'About Me', any recommendations for ways to get a good deal on a flight out there? I don't have the time and money right now, but I'm keen to go do a training trip to the US some time, and Florida is high on the list (especially as I'd love to train with Allie, Megan, Stephanie etc).

The Martinator said...

Hi Can,

Thanks for reading. I'll certainly be carrying on blogging as it's a great deal of fun, helps me remember back to my early days of training and makes me learn more through research (particularly from your outstanding blog) :o).

When I have been to Florida previously it has been for purely recreational reasons as I'm a big time roller coaster junky. Every time I have been was with Virgin Atlantic, who I must say provide the most amazing flight service I have ever experienced. All three times. When you're flying for 8 hrs out and 9 and half hrs back you want to be as comfortable as possible. Also, if you go well outside of school term times, not only do you benefit from cheaper (much cheaper) prices, you don't have to put up with the hyper little sprogladytes on the plane. You should be able to get a return flight for about £400 quid. Don't know if you'd consider that cheap but considering what I'm going to have to pay per seat for going with my two little darlings next time I kind of envy it. As for accommodation, I can't recommend enough renting a villa near Orlando, around the Davenport or Kissimee area and hiring a car and driving everywhere. Fuel prices out there are brilliant and the hire cars are amazing. It will not be a cheap holiday by any stretch of the imagination but I can guarantee that it will be one of, if not THE, best holiday of your life.

Next time I go I will definitely be taking your suggestion and looking up the local BJJ classes.

Cheers

Mart.

slideyfoot said...

Cheers. £400 isn't too bad, and I could probably keep the accommodation costs down through hostelling and things like CouchSurfing (especially as I would probably be going on my own because my gf doesn't care about BJJ: so long as there is a toilet and a roof over my head, I don't care too much where I stay).

Transport is more of an issue, as I don't drive. On the other hand, could be a good kick up the arse for me to finally give it another go (I had loads of lessons when I was 17, hated it and never bothered with the test). ;)

Florida is stuffed with great BJJ, aside from all the cool blogger people. Like California, Brazilians like the climate. ;p