Saturday 23 June 2012

DV8 Academia de Jiu Jitsu 21/6/12

Great numbers again for Ian's class. This is becoming quite common place now (touches wood) as we seem to have quite a committed group of guys coming along. Great times for this club really.



Venue: Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, Uk.
Instructor: Ian Rossiter


Ian wasn't feeling his best Thursday as he'd been a bit under the weather for the previous two days so I stepped in to take the warm up.

Warm Up:

I didn't really deviate (no pun intended) from Ian's usual warm up model too much. We started with   laps of the mat, including, ass kicks, knee ups, facing inward for a lap, facing out for a lap. Neck, Arm and Shoulder stretching. Push ups 10x4, Squats 10x 4,  Crunches 10 x 4. I did add in some hip escaping and triangles and then we did some leg stretching.


Ian's first technique was a closed guard transition to back (not the same one Marcus and I did Tuesday though). Start with the opponent in your closed guard then you reach under one of his arms and pull the guy in toward you with your legs whilst reaching around the other side of him with your other arm (but over the shoulder) and locking your handsto pull him in close and break his posture down. Keeping this hold you hip escape out to the over hooked side and then release your arms and pressure his neck with your nearside forearm. You can now angle yourself up putting his nearside (trapped) arm at an uncomfortable position, then swim your arm under that arm and shrug hard to duck under it and come up around to take the back.
I drilled this with Marcus.


Next move was a Butterfly Sweep. From sitting up Butterfly Guard you secure one of the opponents arms under your same side arm and hold it in close. You can then under hook the other arm or even just hold him on the outside of that arm using the gi. From there you just lean off and to the side (on the trapped arm side) and kick up with your other side leg, flipping the guy over onto his back with you coming over into mount.
This is a very cool sweep that I used to have a hell of a time with (during my early white belt years I just couldn't understand it). The reason was that as I white belt I used to do all my guard work flat on my back. As soon as you realise you should be sitting up for this it becomes obvious and easy. I started the drilling of this move with Chris Hardaway, a guy who is considerably lighter than me, but we changed around to try using the move against different sized guys and I ended up with Big Steve (who outweighs me by about 3 stone). And amazingly the move was still just as easy. With the right technique you should be able to hit it against anyone (within reason).



Then next move of the session was an Arm Bar from Butterfly Guard. Which I can't seem to remember the mechanics of. D'oh. That'll teach me for doing a half assed notes session afterward in favour of getting pissed with the missus. I shall discuss this with Ian and edit after.


The final move was a Buttefly Guard Pass. The opponent has his Butterfly Hooks in and is going for the sweep above. You resist this by bringing your leg on the side he would be kicking out with up so your foot is flat to the ground and pressing your knee into the opponents outside leg. From there you just need to grab the guy around the back with your hand on the side you're passing and use the other to hold his leg so he can't move away to reset position. You can then bring your other leg out and around while pushing down with the knee that's holding his leg at bay and you easily pass to side control.
I was drilling this move with Steve too.


Rolling:

I rolled first against Steve who I have been able to gain position on well recently. No I've stopped just sitting back from the start and trying to sweep him I've found myself gaining top control quite frequently. This time I went for the arm drag but Steve resisted so I pulled him off to one side, brought a leg under and reached under his leg and swept him pretty quickly. I then spent a while in mount, attacking him with various different chokes and arm bar attempts. I was eventually able to get an Arm Bar on him.


Next up was Rich Presley who I pulled guard on then managed to tap quite early using an Achilles Lock. After a restart we had a bit more of a back and forth guard play game. Trading sweeps.


I then had a pretty high paced roll with Dan Foster who I pulled guard on then got a sweep on and then spent the rest of the round trying to pass his guard whilst avoiding his Triangle attempts. I managed to pass to half guard at one point to which he recovered and he got a near miss sweep on me which I recovered. Other than that there was a lot grip fighting and jostling for position.


Next up was new guy Cameron so I spent some time trying to show him some stuff. Can't remember what. I just don't want to spar hard with him at the moment as he's not got enough of the basics down yet so I feel the time would be better spent showing him a few things.


Last up was Marcus which was another good back and forth affair with neither of us really gaining an upper hand. We know each others favoured moves so well by now that I find myself chuckling every time he goes for something like a wrist lock or one of his trusty cross chokes as I know it's coming and am already blocking it straight from the off. I like rolling with Marcus the most as it encourages me to try stuff outside of my usual comfort zone as he knows and counters my usual bag of tricks.


Another good week of Bjj done and now I'm left waiting for Monday to start all over again. I don't think I've ever had a hobby/obsession I've ever been more committed too and excited about in my life. Times are good. ¬m/

No comments: