Sunday 10 June 2012

DV8 Academia de Jiu Jitsu - 7/6/12

Once again there was a great turn out for the Ian's Thursday Class at Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare. There was also a bit of a buzz about the new club logo being designed by one of the newer students, Chris Cook. After a few good attempts he's come up with some really cool designs now that everyone seems to be appreciating.

We were also discussing the up coming Leo Vieira seminar in August, with loads of the guys stating their interest which is a bit better than previous times Ian's presented stuff like this and there's only been a select few of us (usually the same guys) who go. There seems to be a bit more enthusiasm and club spirit about at the moment and I can only hope it keeps ups. Good things for the future.

Not the new club logo, just something I knocked together to stick at the top of my page ;o)
 
Venue: Sweat FA, Weston Super Mare, Uk.
Instructor: Ian Rossiter 
 
 
 Laps of the mat, including, ass kicks, knee ups, facing inward for a lap, facing out for a lap and arm windmilling for a couple of laps. Neck, Arm and Shoulder stretching. Push ups 10x4, Squats 10x 4,  Crunches 10 x 4, then some leg stretching.



Techniques:

We started of with a Kesa Gatame (scarf-hold) Side Control Bridge Escape. The opponent has you pinned to the mat leaning across you in side control but facing sideways on towards you, with one arm (nearside) wrapped around your neck, the other securing your nearside arm at the elbow (usually to pull it up under their arm pit) like so:

What you do then is grab your hand that is coming out of the rearside of his arm pit with your free hand, turn your lower body toward your opponent and bridge up hard into him, using your arms to push him up and away, twisting your body back over at the last second to land the guy on his back with you in a commanding side control position.
I drilled this with Marcus.


Second technique Ian demoed was another Kesa Gatame escape. This time you walk your legs away from the opponents body so you're more perpendicular to him. You manage to pull your nearside arm out from his underarm grip and use your lower hand to wrist like a blade edge to push into the guy's throat, bracing it out with your other arm. This distracts the opponents somewhat and pushes them back away from you a little so you now have room to swing your legs up and pass the off side leg under his head. You can now kick back, rolling the guy over to his back with you coming up and over into side control.
This has always been my favourite escape from Kesa Gatame due to my flexibility. I have quite an easy time of getting my leg up and under an opponents head and generally use this escape quite a bit. I've even modified it a bit and used it as a standard side control escape on occasion.
Me and Marcus also had a little play about with the Andre Galvao escape to arm bar when the guy has you in the slightly different Kuzure Kesa Gatame. That's the one where the opponents nearside arm is underhooking your off side arm instead of wrapping around the neck, as shown here;
From there you overwrap the guys nearside arm and repeat as for the last one to get your leg up under his head but this time position your other leg with the knee hard into his torso/ribs. Now as you roll him over you can lay back putting immense pressure on the trapped arm.



Ian then linked a finish option to these moves as being the same Arm bar we did two weeks ago. This works under the assumption that the opponent did not release the headlock once you'd flipped him on his back so he's closer to being sideways on or back presented. From there (on floor in a sort of side control with opponents back presented but still in headlock position), you push your far side knee (knee the furthest from the opponents head) into his back and use your forearm to press against his neck, first pressing down into the neck, then scooping upward to apply tight pressure on his carotid artery, making him quickly release the hold. It's just a quick movement from there to secure his arm and pass your near side leg over the opponent's head, then fall back for the really tight arm bar.




Next Ian moved us on to something completely different - Standing wrist locks. It's funny 'cause I was just saying to Marcus the other week that my knowledge on wrist locks is fairly shocking (about ten seconds after he'd tapped me with one) so this was a good little training segment from me. Opponent starts with his hand on your chest as if he's pushing you away. You then push his hand down a little (so it bends at the wrist slightly) with your same side arm, while gripping back of arm just above the elbow with your other hand . You then pull the guys arm hard towards you and switch to a double hand grip at the back of his arm for extra control and pressure. The pain is immediate. Most guys will be tapping (or begging for mercy) in pretty short order.





Ian then moved this on to work from a closed guard position. The opponent in your closed guard is pressuring your hips as if to set up a pass. You secure one of his hands with the same side hand and grab that same arm at the back just above the elbow (same way as before). Then, open guard (but still maintain pressure with legs) and hip escape away from that arm so you are sideways on to it. Now use the same double arm pull technique to hit the painful wrist lock. Ouch, that move hurts loads. And if you're stupid and try and find ways to resist or struggle against it you end up getting hurt more. D'oh.


To finish off the techniques Ian gave us a back up move if the opponent is able to successfully block the wrist lock by angling his hand to the outside of you so it can be slipped of. Fairly easy, just whip it round into an omoplata. I drilled this move first with Glenn Cutter, then with Rich Presley. I also practised the monoplata on both guys, where you switch to the omoplata but the guy manages to retain your leg underneath him.
During this time Glenn showed me a pretty cool (and fairly obvious when you think about, though I never had) pass for closed guard. Occasionally you're in someone's closed guard and they lay right back for a rest and pull their arms right up and away from you too as if to disallow you any control over them. Just turn yourself around, stepping over his torso and flipping him over onto his front, coming over into a sort of self imposed boston crab like position (put on only because he has his leg wrapped around you) which the opponent quickly lets go of. From there you can scramble for best position, either getting to his back or at least to side control. If you end in half guard from that little number then you've done something really wrong.



Rolling:

I roll with Rich first who seemed to be having a bit of an off night. I jumped guard first from where we jostled a bit for position until I managed to hit an Arm Bar on him. Restarted and this time I went for a takedown so he jump guard on me. I managed a pass after a considerable struggle but once into side control I managed to gift wrap him over into rear mount and slap on a Bow and Arrow.


Next up was Big Steve. I was a bit chuffed with the beginning to this second roll as I usually do not even bother to try to grapple from knee to knee with Steve (he outweighs me by at least 3 stone) but on this occasion I thought I'd try a little grip battle and managed to grab his left hand sleeve cuff with my right hand and grab his left arm tricep with my left hand and arm drag him right over to take his back really quickly (thanks Marcelo). Executing an arm drag against a guy so much bigger than me was a pretty land mark occasion for me but equally impressive, and somewhat surprising, was Steve's ability to defend from his back. I was constantly active trying to pry his arms away, trying to grip his collar, trying to slide an arm in, but Steve was defending like a total demon. I was equal parts impressed (with Steve's defence) and frustrated (with my inability to finish) come the end of the round. Fair play to him, a great round from a bad start for Steve.



Next up was a round with Tom Hill. Tom is a fairly competitive guy and uses a lot of strength in his rolling (especially for his size and weight). He jumped guard on me which I struggled and eventually managed to pass. Tom then played a great defensive game. I Was on the verge of taking his back right at the end but we'd rolled off the mat. By the time we got back on and Tom tied his belt the time was up.
I may be getting a spot of One on One Training in with Tom on Monday lunchtime which I look forward to.


Last up was Rob. He tried to dummy me a bit by talking some, then bull rushed me for a takedown, so I swept him straight away. I got to side control and left him to try and break out of it for a bit. I then went to mount using the crescent kick pass and tried to tap him for the last 15 seconds with an arm bar which he was able to block out.

A great and fun lesson once again from Ian with the attendance and general camaraderie really making this club a pleasure to attend each session. I'm a bit bummed out though as Marcus won't be able to train Mondays and Tuesdays for a while (if ever again) as he's working to get money up towards moving down south with his missus when she leaves for University. Bugger! I will be planning some sort of adequate punishment for this. Still, Tom Hill says he's game for a Monday sesh occasionally and hopefully I'll be able to pull someone else out for another day. Can't go back to one day training a week. No way.

\m/

No comments: